Thanksgiving is upon us and we all have so much to do at this time of year. We’re all making to-do lists, shopping, cooking, baking, party planning, and on and on. We tend to be so consumed with these ‘doings’ that we sort of forget how absolutely awesome is it that you have a furry friend (or two or three). Every now and then when I’m walking my dog, we’ll get into this sort of rhythm with our steps and I’ll start noticing her ears flop up and down in that special way they do – it’s so completely adorable that I just start to grinning and I’m filled with this overwhelming feeling of gratefulness for her being in my life. She makes me so happy when I know she’s enjoying her life. My life is better because she’s in it. I know you feel the same if you’re reading this blog so here’s 7 ways you can show thanks for the fur in your life:
- Take you dog (or cat) for a long walk – let the walk be about them, not you. If they want to stop at every tree or bush or smelly gosh-knows-what: let them. Keep in the back of your mind that this is their walk, not yours.
- Scratch them where they can’t reach. Ever ask someone to scratch your back because you can’t reach? Enough said..
- Gently rub their muzzle. I know my dog loves this. Some cats that we pet sit for love it too. You can tell by the gentle purring that’s going on.
- Give a donation to a local shelter in their name. This one is totally a win – win.
- Feed them an extra special treat now and then. You will want to be sure that it’s healthy and something they don’t get very often.
- Brush them – but only if you know they like it. My dog enjoys being brushed, but too many times, I just forget to brush my dog. She’s got medium hair that doesn’t get matted so it’s not really a necessity. If I see the brush it’s a visual reminder of the look on her face (joy) and it helps. Try putting the brush in a place that will remind you how much your dog likes it and then USE it!
- Invest your time playing and snuggling. People are so very busy these days and especially around the holidays. Our wonderful pets never ask for anything (except if we’ve forgotten to fill the food bowls). They love you and being with you. Take a few minutes of your precious time and spend them with your precious pet! Let them know (however you know they understand) that you love them back.
There you have it – 7 ways that you might have not done for your favorite little fur-ball in quite awhile. We wish you (and your fur-family) the happiest of Thanksgivings.