Wouldn’t ya know? They have a holiday for loving peanut butter!? I, personally, am not a fan unless it’s with something sweet, like jelly or Nutella and then followed by a giant glass of milk. I don’t like the way it sticks to the roof (and every other part) of your mouth.
Dogs on the other hand seem to LOVE the sticky stuff. Lots and lots of people across America use this powerful-smelling sticky goo to wrap their dogs pills in, fill their kong toys with, etc. So, I must caution you to READ THE LABEL ON YOUR BELOVED PEANUT BUTTER!! There is a product called Xylitol that’s a natural sugar alcohol sweetener sometimes found in peanut butter and it’s really horrible for dogs. Notice that it’s a ‘natural’ sweetener – many people think that Xylitol is an artificial sweetener and they think that the term ‘natural sweetener’ on their peanut butter label is okay. It’s not.
Dr. Jason Nicholas, who writes for the blog The Preventive Vet, says:
“Ingestion of as little as 0.1 gram (g) of xylitol per kilogram (kg) of body weight (0.1 g/kg) can cause a rapid and dangerous drop in a dog’s blood sugar, a condition called hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia can show as staggering, appearing disoriented, collapse, weakness, and seizures.”
That’s pretty scary stuff. Check out this article for more information on how to find if your peanut butter contains Xylitol : http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/xylitol-now-found-certain-peanut-and-nut-butters
Once you take the necessary precautions for your four-legged friend – go ahead and fill that Kong or smear that pill – let him enjoy that sticky goo! And happy Peanut Butter Lovers Day.